With well over a month quarantined (or operating as essential services in station buildings) for many of us, we’re all ready for things to get back to normal. The question of “when” is up to public officials, but it’s certain that “how” won’t simply be a matter of resuming what we were doing in February. “Normal” will be different than it was when the economy was humming and unemployment was at an all-time low.
At NuVoodoo we’re preparing a webinar to release the latest information we’re gathering about the pandemic and radio’s role during and after the crisis. In addition, clients have challenged us to come up with solutions they can fund with spare-change-found-in-the-couch budgets and still be effective playing the ratings game. Your Nielsen report card comes rain or shine, and we’ll share some marketing strategies we’ve used to help stations adjust to the new reality.
You can register now for Covering and Recovering from COVID-19: Practical Steps to Help Your Listeners & Your Station Through the Pandemic & Beyond. The webinar is set for Thursday, April 30 at 1 PM EDT; register at nuvoodoo.com/webinars.
Last week’s NuVoodoo inquiry into how close coronavirus has gotten showed that just under half have been touched pretty directly – and one in nine know someone personally who’s died from the virus. We’ll continue tracking this and other points.
We also continue to look at the programming that’s most interesting to music radio listeners. While listeners are still eager for additional information or updates on local cases, this new sample of 3,600 listeners shows a strong tide for songs to make them feel good (positive and uplifting songs) and they’re as drawn to long music sets as ever. And there remains strong demand for other programming ideas to reinforce your station’s brand during the crisis.
During the new webinar, Mike O’Connor, PJ Kling and I will review the latest NuVoodoo listener research on the pandemic and map out the best strategies and tactics to meet the challenges ahead in just over a half hour. We’ll give a deep dive on:
- Concern about coronavirus day-by-day back to early March
- Ways coronavirus has touched the lives of listeners
- How radio is doing compared to other media choices for usage and reliance
- How listeners feel about coming out of quarantine
- What music radio should be doing to stay in step with listener expectations
- The coverage and information most sought by listeners
- Whether contests still fit into listener expectations for music radio today
- How to package contests during the recovery phase
- Best promotional strategies and tactics with reduced marketing budgets
- Station positioning opportunities during recovery
- What to expect from listeners and from ratings respondents as we recover
Then, we’ll stay on to answer your questions to make sure you leave armed with new knowledge and new ideas to move your stations ahead. Covering and Recovering from COVID-19: Practical Steps to Help Your Listeners & Your Station Through the Pandemic & Beyond. The webinar is set for Thursday, April 30 at 1 PM EDT; register at nuvoodoo.com/webinars.